Paisley Dreams

Tuesday, March 22, 2005

The Curious Phone Call with the Texan in the Night-Time the Day after Finishing a Great Book

I talked to a guy from Texas on the dating line last night. We both miss the sky. We both agree that Texas Roadhouse is the lamest, fakest restaurant on the planet. We both agree that seeing one club's regulars line dancing to every song, including rap, is just plain bizarre. I don't recall people back home doing that, but maybe they did. I suppose I would block that out if they had. :) We both bemoan how hard it is to find good Mom-and-Pop Mexican food. We had a lot of fun talking and may meet soon.
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time by Mark Haddon is a gem. It's a fictional glimpse into autism that is very matter-of-fact. I sympathized with the parents' frustrations while coming to an understanding that the child does not realize what he is missing by being unable to experience the full spectrum of normal human emotions. I loved the book's incorporation of difficult math problems; I pondered and tackled them all. The only letdown was the ending. Too abrupt. Too unoriginal. Everything had already been mentioned once. We didn't need a summary of things that had already been said; we needed something new to provide a glimmer of hope. Despite this, I'm going to recommend it to my friend who is an occupational therapist. I believe she will find and appreciate things I never saw. I hope she will state that it does seem to portray autism realistically since that's the opinion I had, but I don't have the wealth of knowledge on the topic and regular contact with autistic people like she does.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home