Paisley Dreams

Monday, August 16, 2004

Weekend

Friday I went out dancing with Colby, Josh, Ben, Nick, Dawn, and Zack at the 'sel. Met Nick and Dawn for the first time. Nick gave me his number. We had a really funny, crazy time dancing. A blast. Colby is beginning to worry me though. Because of stuff with Dawn. I'm admiring Ben more and more every time I see him. He asked about Scrabble. He and Josh know Scrabble Mike from the symphony. I named off the occupations of the people in the club. It's such a great, eclectic, sweet, and interesting group of people. I said that I just wished there were more young people. That's when he said something very insightful, "It's not the age that matters. It's the connection." He's absolutely right. Definitely.
I do really feel for Ben right now. He lost his Dad to cancer at home with hospice recently. While driving on Saturday, I was thinking about all of the losses I've heard about recently. Ben's dad. Mary's mom. L'nysha's mom. And then there's the loss of Howard. Little did I know that while I was doing that, Andrea and Trish were hiking up Mount LeConte to spread Howard's ashes. Since Mom said she wants her ashes spread in the mountains, I know I'll make that same kind of hike someday. I only hope she sees Mount LeConte and the rest of the beautiful Smokies before that day arrives. It's not very likely, but I can still hope. I added to the list of lost Sunday when I talked to Kim. It seems Tami from elementary schol lost her Dad as well. Kim also told me about a disconcerting Mom spotting. She's the one who let me know Mom was in in the first place since her Mom lives two doors down from mine.
I also compared and contrasted my grief over Mom with that over Dad. No grief ever goes completely away, but, with me, the grief over Mom is worse that the grief over Dad. It's one thing to someone to die. There's closure. But for someone to spend their whole life the way Mom has...it's just hard. She becomes more dead to the world and more delusional as the years pass. The living dead. I've been grieving over it my whole life.
Saw Sterling for the first time in --- how long? It's been months. He was really worrying me. Kinda glad I didn't see him downstairs after the show because he seems to be gone. Mom kind of gone.
Saturday I did exit interviews at Lowe's at the same store Brian worked at. Glad I didn't see him this time. Went well. Got major complaint for the first time, but I got the interviews done quickly because everyone was so willing to talk. Nice town. Was supposed to have a blind date, but the guy was tired from a long day at work so it's been put off until next Saturday.
Talked to a guy who I think has dated every poor representation of my gender that's out there. Pretty sad.
Went dancing with Chaunda on Saturday night. Met an amazing guy from Greece. Thank you, Athens! Well, thank you somewhat. We'll see if he calls. He was in my top three after I got a good look around. On my way to Chaunda's normal perch, I noticed him nearby. I noticed that he noticed me and was happy about that. Then I went to the back of the club to watch Olympic swimming and football. When I started walking back to Chaunda, I noticed him leave a post ahead of me and start walking to where he'd been very fast. He got there before me, probably thinking I'd not seen what he'd done. I told him later my guess about what he'd done. Sure enough, he'd been checking me out in both places. Pretty funny. Norah Jones' "Don't Know Why I Didn't Come" came on. I stood there singing it and glanced his way. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw that he was glancing at me, considering whether to ask me to dance. He didn't ask. Just walked up, grabbed my hand, and led me to the floor. I didn't mind one bit! In my top three, and I got him! Wow, that hasn't happened in a long, long time. Wow! Great eyes. Great smile! Blue silk dress shirt and dress slacks. Wow! We danced off and on all night. Talked a lot. He said I was lovely. That I had beautiful eyes. I taught him a lot of English slang. He told me some Greek and Turkish. I never saw him look at anyone else or dance with anyone else when I wasn't with him. I left for awhile and went to meet Beth and hear a new lineup of an old local band I used to love. I'm so glad to learn their new name! It was also great to see Beth! It'd been a long while. Told her I was going back for a phone number and or to bring him back with me. When I returned, I almost got him to leave, but when he found out they weren't dancing there, he didn't want to go. So I never saw Beth again that night.
Caught up with Jessica, Liz, and Kim. Found out from Sean's dad that a tree is down in his front yard from Charley, but that the house is ok. Left a message for Dave to check on his Dad who lives in Coral Gables. Haven't caught up with him in a long while. Scoped out Shaun's blind date at a sports bar from a distance. Didn't do it for Shaun though. I just happened to be in the area waiting for Greg's call to meet him somewhere out west. Shaun's blind date and her friend were smoking and didn't look good enough for Shaun. Found out later he didn't like her.
Had a lazy day on Sunday. Couldn't sleep last night because of how much I slept and lazed around yesterday. Bad, bad, bad. But good as well. Did a lot of driving this weekend. Happiness = driving. That allowed me to think. Spent so much time thinking period. Needed to do that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home