Paisley Dreams

Monday, August 16, 2004

Be Better

This week had better be better than last week. Last Monday I talked to Mom and found out she's out but shouldn't be. Tuesday I talked to my brother and found out that a role reversal has apparently taken place. He's mad at her, but I haven't yelled at her in five years and counting. Too much guilt. Well, this makes me feel even more guilty to be far away. Thursday a problem child student had three fights in the libby, one with me.

Then another student asked me, "How's your Mom," which brought a tear to my eye from the stress. That question pretty much always puts me in a somber mood. Has done so ever since I was a little kid. Primarily because of all the church services in which all of the kind-hearted people would ask that question. Especially on communion days. That's when all the kids had to stand with families. Why did they have to do that? I hated having to stand with one of my friend's families and be reminded of my orphan status. The question came up more often than normal on the days when a friend didn't bring me. When my Mom dropped me off to go back to bed. Had to send the student on her way with very little explanation. She'd been around the Friday after Mom was put in and had asked me what was wrong because she is so perceptive and sweet. Should have never told her though! What a doofus. But She's the one I'll hopefully hang out with after she graduates. She gave me a card saying that she hopes we do that the other day. Damn rules!

Any day that begins with Waffle House starts well. Especially when it's a free Waffle House meal. Gotta love the mystery shops. And of course it's a nice start when I see mountains, a lake, fog, and a red sun. Damn the torpedoes. The red sun was pale and coming up over a blurry, gray ridge. Gorgeous!

My evenings this week are full. Tonight I need to get a lot of stuff done.
Tomorrow is comedy and a mystery shop. Wednesday is a late work department meeting and then Scrabble. I didn't go to Scrabble last week. Thursday is a meeting for a professional organization. Friday is a movie. Saturday is a professional organization's meeting in Nashville and a blind date. I have to have a lot done before the meetings on Thursday and Saturday. Busy, busy, busy.

Finally cleared out my voicemail. With a smile. Here are some highlights from the last few weeks. I love my friends!!!

7/23 8:58am
"Hey _____, it's ____. It's um...its about 9 o'clock almost. I'm on my way to work right now. I just got your voicemail. I'm sorry I missed you last night. Um, my ringer's turned off, and I went to bed, um, but I'm really sorry to hear about everything with your mother. I can't imagine, um, what that's like, and all I can say is I'm really sorry, and I'm here, and I'm glad that you're coming to Atlanta so I'll get to see you, and, um, you can always call me anytime. I'll have my phone on today if you need to talk, and I don't really have much of anything to do at work, so give me a call and talk to me if you want, um, but I look forward to seeing you. And, look, everything's going to be ok and, um, you know, just get through it one day at a time, alright. Well, I hope to talk to you soon sweetie. Bye."

7/23 4:19pm
"Hey _____. It's me. I'm at work. It's about 4:20. I was just seeing how you're holding in there. Um, give me a call when you get this. You can call me toll free at ____ up until 5 o'clock, and then you can call me on my cell phone anytime. Hope you are doing well. Just wanted to see how you were. Talk to you later. Bye."

It would have been a day I left my phone at home. I got two similar calls from someone else that day. Have I told you lately I love my friends?

8/1 6:53 pm
"Hey ____, I just thought I'd try and give you a call since I saw on caller ID that you called this morning. Um, well, and you did leave a message. Um, anyways, I hope things are going ok, and I guess I'll touch base with you later. I'm on my cell phone right now running an errand. I'm going to buy something I've never bought before in my life, but I suppose it's time for me to handle it. I'm sure you can figure out what I'm talking about. Anyways, um, I shall talk to you later. Bye!"

Said with such enthusiasm. Why am I not surprised? ;)

8/1 7:23 pm
"What a bummer that I'm not getting ahold of you. I was going to tell you I'm actually...I actually did it. I went into a store (giggle) and bought condoms. Anyway I didn't really want to leave that on your voicemail (giggle), but that's ok. I guess I should be fine with this. Anyways, I hope things are going ok. And, um,
don't call me tonight, but I'll be home, let's see, Tuesday night after your comedy
comedy club thing would work or sometime Wednesday night would work. Alright? Take care. Bye."

8/6 11:17 am
"Hey _____, it's ___. I'm just calling to wish you, uh, a happy 30th birthday. Um, and I hope your day is going really well. Um, Give us a call sometime. Uh, I'd really like to hear from you and hopefully, you know, to...to know the next time you're going to be down in Atlant, er, yeah down in Atlanta (giggle) 'cause we'd really like to see you. Anyway I was just calling to wish you a happy birthday, and I'll talk to you later. Bye."

I called him back and thanked him, especially since I really loved the fact that he mistakenly subtracted a couple of years from my age. Cool!

8/6 11:38 am
"Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday dear ____. Happy birthday to you. I was just calling you to wish you a happy birthday. Hope you are having a, uh, good day. That was my, uh, dramatic poetic reading of that traditional happy birthday song. Uh, I really don't feel like singing this morning, but I was just wanting to let you know that we're thinking of you and, um, hope you're relaxing and doing something special today. Um, I'm at work of course, and it's a beautiful day outside, and, uh, very low humidity, and I wish I was out enjoying it. So hope you get out there and enjoy it and have a wonderful day. But, anyway, I guess call me when you get this, and I hope you're doing well. See you later. Bye."

8/6 6:?? pm
"Hey ____. I hope you had a happy birthday....I didn't get anywhere with yesterday's doctor's appointment....I'll tell you more about it some other time. And I hope you're having a good weekend. Bye."

8/14 11:06 am
"Hey girl. Give me a call when you get the message. ____ called me this morning. I'm excited. Anyway, I'll talk to you later. Bye."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home