Paisley Dreams

Friday, November 19, 2004

What the Bleep Do We Know?

Tuesday night I had to recover from being up so late the night before. Wednesday night was Scrabble and my reality show addiction, The Bachelor. Last night I decided to treat myself to a movie at the artsy theater I love. The choice was between I Heart Huckabees, a film I've read praise of, and something praised by Time Magazine and the Los Angeles Times on its poster but that I hadn't heard anything about, What the Bleep Do We Know? I'm glad I decided to go out on a limb and watch What the Bleep...It makes me want to pore through books on quantam mechanics. Truly. I can't decide which book by which of the film's scientists to read first.
This film has such breath. And all of it is intriguing. Some of it is quite bizarre. I wish they had explained some things further and presented them in more depth. Like their assertion that two things can occupy two different places at the same time. I'd heard such a thing before, and I still can't grasp that concept.
I'd been thinking a lot about atoms and God, yes at the same time, lately so their discussions on them were timely for me. Hindus believe we are all part of God, that God is everywhere and is all things. That's one of the things I'd been pondering lately. That we are all one was a concept I had also been pondering, and I love the way the film approaches it. A quantum soup. They did a beautiful job of presenting that. Hit a grand slam there.
It took years before I could completely reconcile atoms with cells and other larger matter. The emptiness of atoms made it hard for me to accept that they were the building blocks of cells. It's like packing a galaxy into a nanometer.
I also love how they proposed and explained that one can be addicted to certain emotions. They took away all of the levity of the implications and presented them in an irreverential manner reminiscent of the title. The music and animations were hilarious. This is the second time that Robert Plant's Addicted to Love video has been parodied lately. First was my classmate's band's performance in 1985. Then came this film. I thought that Bowling for Soup were funny. This film took it all to a new level. Absolutely cracked me up! The little cell blobs were ingenious.
I definitely want to look further into the meditation and water crystals experiments. And so many of the concepts of quantum mechanics.
I like the fact that I'm not as scared of physics as I once was. Calculus and physics sometimes lost me in high school, but then again, I wasn't very motivated. Especially after I, and numerous other classmates, were accepted to college in December. We goofed off and exasperated the hell out of our teachers during the spring semester.
A few years ago I read a book that explained the physics behind the formation of tornadoes and was thrilled that I could understand it. Woohoo! As I've gotten older, I've wanted to read more and more about physics, but I just haven't gotten around to it.
A blog I read recently pointed out that once we say that something is unknown it is at once known. If we have given it any characteristics whatsover, then "it" is no longer an unknown. We can't say it's a mystery. We can't know what we don't know, but we do this all the time; we say that things are mysteries and make presumptions about them at the same time. That's incompatible. I wish that I had bookmarked that blog because his wording was far more comprehensible and well-written.
What the Bleep Do We Know? defies explanation. Truly does. Just go see it. Grasping a concept is one thing. Accepting it and believing it are another. This film pushed me to think and entertained me at the same time. That's the best compliment I can give it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home